PDF version: CV-2017 (It looks much nicer!)
Curriculum Vitae, May 2017
2017-: Grantham University, Lenexa, KS
Faculty, Foundations Program
2016-2017: Florida SouthWestern State College, Fort Myers, FL
Adjunct Professor, School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
2015-2017: Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL
Adjunct Professor, Department of Communication and Philosophy
PhD. University of Reading, Reading, England
Dissertation: Natural Law Approaches to the Environment
Supervisor: David Oderberg
M.A. Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
Comprehensive exam committee: D. McNaughton (chair), J. Roberts, M. Lebar
B.A. Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
2014: Philosophy, Religion (minor), magna cum laude
- “The Moral Case for Gun Ownership” in B. Fischer (ed), Ethics, Left and Right: The Issues that Divide Us (Oxford University Press: in progress).
- “Unjust Laws, Resistance, and Insurgency” in B. Krajewski and J. Heter (eds), The Man in the High Castle and Philosophy (Open Court: forthcoming, 2017).
- “The Perverted Faculty Argument” Philosophia Christi 19:2 (2017, forthcoming).
- “Industrial Farming is Not Cruel to Animals” Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 30:1 (2017): xx-xx. DOI: 10.1007/s10806-017-9652-0
- “The Ethics of ‘Gun-Free Zones’” Philosophia (forthcoming: 2017). DOI: 10.1007/s11406-016-9789-5
- “Against Moderate Gun Control” (with C. Bernstein) Libertarian Papers 8:2 (2016): 308-325.
- “Consenting Adults, Sex, and Natural Law Theory” Philosophia 44:2 (2016): 509-529. DOI 10.1007/s11406-016-9705-z.
- “A Carnivorous Rejoinder to Bruers and Erdös” Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 28:6 (2015): 1127-1238. DOI: 10.1007/s10806-015-9582-7.
- “Against Gun Bans and Restrictive Licensing” Essays in Philosophy 16:2 (2015): 180-203. DOI: 10.7710/1526-0569.1531. (Special issue on philosophy and gun control).
- “In Defense of Eating Meat” Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 28:2 (2015): 277-291. DOI: 10.1007/s10806-015-9534-2.
- “The Moral Right to Keep and Bear Firearms” (with C. Bernstein and M. Palumbo) Public Affairs Quarterly 29:4 (2015): 345-363.
- “A Defense of the Perverted Faculty Argument against Homosexual Sex” Heythrop Journal 56:5 (2015): 751-758. DOI: 10.1111/heyj.12134.
- Review of Stephen Kershnar, Pedophilia and Adult-Child Sex for Public Discourse (forthcoming).
- Review of Firmin DeBrabander, Do Guns Make Us Free? for The Journal of Value Inquiry. 50 (2016): 659-665. DOI: 10.1007/s10790-015-9512-y.
- “The Moral Case for Campus Carry” Eagle News (10/9/2015)
- “The Limits of Consent” Public Discourse (9/23/2015)
- “Yes, abortion is a human rights violation” Eagle News (2/17/2017)
- Applied Ethics (AOS): Sexual ethics, environmental ethics, bioethics.
- Social and Political Philosophy (AOS): Rights, commutative justice, natural law
- Philosophy of Religion (AOC): Natural theology, philosophical theology.
- Medieval and Early Modern Philosophy (AOC): Aquinas, Descartes, Locke, Berkeley.
As Primary Instructor
- PHI 1000 – Introduction to Philosophy. Florida Gulf Coast University.
- PHI 2000 – The History of Ideas. Florida Gulf Coast University.
- SLS 1501 – Effective Learning. Florida Gulf Coast University.
- PHI 2010 – Introduction to Philosophy. Florida SouthWestern State College.
- PHI 2600 – Ethics. Florida SouthWestern State College.
As Teaching Assistant
- PHI 2100 – Reasoning and Critical Thinking. Florida State University.
Conferences / Speaking
- 2016: Lecture series on “Christianity and Politics” (New Life Assembly of God).
- 2016: Lecture series on Arguments for the Existence of God (Ratio Christi FGCU)
- 2015: “The Moral Case for Campus Carry” (Eagles for Liberty, FGCU Honors Event).
- 2015: “Can the Right to Own a Gun Resist ‘Outweighing’ Arguments?” (University of Kentucky Graduate Conference on the Good Society).
- 2013: “Why Homosexual Sex is Immoral” (Tennessee Philosophical Association Annual Conference).
- 2017: Referee, Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal.
- 2015-present: PhilPapers Section Editor for Gun Control.
- 2015-present: Referee, Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics.
- 2014-2015: Graduate Teaching Assistant, FSU Department of Philosophy.
- 2015: Research Assistant for Professor David McNaughton.
- 2015: Bioethics Bowl Judge, National Undergraduate Bioethics Conference.
- 2014: Witherspoon Institute Seminar on Natural Law and Public Affairs.
- 2012: Research Assistant to Professor Randolph Clarke.
- Evangelical Philosophical Society.
- IHS Humane Studies Fellowship
- Legatus Christi Award.
- Institute for Humane Studies Research and Conference Grant.
- Institute for Humane Studies Graduate Application Fee Waiver.
- FSU Congress of Graduate Students Travel Grant (x2).
- Florida Bright Futures Academic Scholarship (for both undergraduate and graduate study).
Available by request.