PDF version: CV-2017 (It looks much nicer!)
Curriculum Vitae, March 2017
Institute for Humane Studies, Arlington, VA
Florida SouthWestern State College, Fort Myers, FL
Adjunct Professor, School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL
Adjunct Professor, Department of Communication and Philosophy
PhD. University of Reading, Reading, England
Dissertation: Natural Law Approaches to the Environment
Supervisor: David Oderberg
M.A. Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
Comprehensive exam committee: D. McNaughton (chair), J. Roberts, M. Lebar
B.A. Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
2014: Philosophy, Religion (minor), magna cum laude
- “Unjust Laws, Resistance, and Insurgency” in B. Krajewski and J. Heter (eds), The Man in the High Castle and Philosophy (Open Court: forthcoming, 2017).
- “The Perverted Faculty Argument” Philosophia Christi 19:1 (2017, forthcoming).
- “Industrial Farming is Not Cruel to Animals” Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 30:1 (2017): xx-xx. DOI: 10.1007/s10806-017-9652-0
- “The Ethics of ‘Gun-Free Zones’” Philosophia (forthcoming: 2017). DOI: 10.1007/s11406-016-9789-5
- “Against Moderate Gun Control” (with C. Bernstein) Libertarian Papers 8:2 (2016): 308-325.
- “Consenting Adults, Sex, and Natural Law Theory” Philosophia 44:2 (2016): 509-529. DOI 10.1007/s11406-016-9705-z.
- “A Carnivorous Rejoinder to Bruers and Erdös” Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 28:6 (2015): 1127-1238. DOI: 10.1007/s10806-015-9582-7.
- “Against Gun Bans and Restrictive Licensing” Essays in Philosophy 16:2 (2015): 180-203. DOI: 10.7710/1526-0569.1531. (Special issue on philosophy and gun control).
- “In Defense of Eating Meat” Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 28:2 (2015): 277-291. DOI: 10.1007/s10806-015-9534-2.
- “The Moral Right to Keep and Bear Firearms” (with C. Bernstein and M. Palumbo) Public Affairs Quarterly 29:4 (2015): 345-363.
- “A Defense of the Perverted Faculty Argument against Homosexual Sex” Heythrop Journal 56:5 (2015): 751-758. DOI: 10.1111/heyj.12134.
- Review of Stephen Kershnar, Pedophilia and Adult-Child Sex for Public Discourse (forthcoming).
- Review of Firmin DeBrabander, Do Guns Make Us Free? for The Journal of Value Inquiry. 50 (2016): 659-665. DOI: 10.1007/s10790-015-9512-y.
- “The Moral Case for Campus Carry” Eagle News (10/9/2015)
- “The Limits of Consent” Public Discourse (9/23/2015)
- “Yes, abortion is a human rights violation” Eagle News (2/17/2017)
Works-in-Progress / Under Review
- The Moral Case for Gun Ownership. (Under review)
- Applied Ethics (AOS): Sexual ethics, environmental ethics, bioethics.
- Social and Political Philosophy (AOS): Rights, commutative justice, natural law
- Philosophy of Religion (AOC): Natural theology, philosophical theology.
- Medieval and Early Modern Philosophy (AOC): Aquinas, Descartes, Locke, Berkeley.
As Primary Instructor
- PHI 1000 – Introduction to Philosophy. Florida Gulf Coast University.
- PHI 2000 – The History of Ideas. Florida Gulf Coast University.
- SLS 1501 – Effective Learning. Florida Gulf Coast University.
- PHI 2010 – Introduction to Philosophy. Florida SouthWestern State College.
- PHI 2600 – Ethics. Florida SouthWestern State College.
As Teaching Assistant
- PHI 2100 – Reasoning and Critical Thinking. Florida State University.
Conferences / Speaking
- 2016: Lecture series on “Christianity and Politics” (New Life Assembly of God).
- 2015: “The Moral Case for Campus Carry” (Eagles for Liberty, FGCU Honors Event).
- 2015: “Can the Right to Own a Gun Resist ‘Outweighing’ Arguments?” (University of Kentucky Graduate Conference on the Good Society).
- 2013: “Why Homosexual Sex is Immoral” (Tennessee Philosophical Association Annual Conference).
- 2017: Referee, Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal.
- 2015-present: PhilPapers Section Editor for Gun Control.
- 2015-present: Referee, Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics.
- 2014-2015: Graduate Teaching Assistant, FSU Department of Philosophy.
- 2015: Bioethics Bowl Judge, National Undergraduate Bioethics Conference.
- 2014: Witherspoon Institute Seminar on Natural Law and Public Affairs.
- 2012: Research Assistant to Professor Randolph Clarke.
- Evangelical Philosophical Society.
- IHS Humane Studies Fellowship
- Legatus Christi Award.
- Institute for Humane Studies Research and Conference Grant.
- Institute for Humane Studies Graduate Application Fee Waiver.
- FSU Congress of Graduate Students Travel Grant (x2).
- Florida Bright Futures Academic Scholarship (for both undergraduate and graduate study).
Available by request.